Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dyeing - the final results....and another shawl

I have been meaning to put up pictures of the dark red skein for weeks ....but Life got in the way. And another knitting project that I've been pottering about for a bit now. So here are the pictures of the final result....


Before the Koolaid dye - just RIT dye. The picture makes it look more orange than it is...more a pinkish red


After 2 step Koolaid - Punch and Orange (step1), Black Cherry (step2)


And here is what I've been working on in the past weeks.  Another lace shawl.....


I have always been drawn to variegated yarn and have quite a lot of it in stash but the more I knit with it the more I  realize that I don't like the final results as much as with plain single colored yarn. I used up some luscious looking Araucania Itata in a blue-green color with spots of mauve and purple, reminiscent of peacock feathers, for this project. I remember being so taken with the colors in the yarn but I am less than happy with the knitted project. The distribution of the colors in the knitted end-product destroys the peacock feather look. Maybe I should just knit socks from multi-colored sock yarn. That would be so boring.

More pictures of this shawl will be up soon. I have to figure out what happened to my trusty Nikon DSLR - I keep getting a card read error. Probably some setting was messed up after we used it to shoot a video of my youngest playing at his violin recital. The other digital camera that we own, while quite good otherwise, is so-so with indoor lighting. Or it needs to get sunny outside and stop raining so I can get some decent pictures in natural light....

Now to dream of other projects to start.....

No comments:

Post a Comment